Campus ADA Accessibility Architect
The Office for Equity and Accessibility at Virginia Tech is seeking candidates for a full-time Campus ADA Accessibility Architect. This position reports to the Director for ADA/504 Compliance and Accessibility Services in the Office for Equity and Accessibility. The Campus ADA Accessibility Architect will be responsible for reviewing all design plans for compliance with the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design and the ADAAG. This includes reviewing all building plans for adherence to the ADA standards and the ADAAG in alterations, renovations, capital construction plans, and non-capital construction plans for the university. The Campus ADA Accessibility Architect will consult with the University Building Official’s team and will review all design plans for ADA compliance at all stages of the design review process for all construction. The Campus ADA Accessibility Architect will be a consultant for the Facilities Services GIS team with regards to the maintenance of the Campus Interactive Map and other maps as appropriate; collaborate with the Office of University Planning on accessibility projects, new construction, renovations, and alterations; consult with departments regarding accessibility of facilities to include on-site reviews, measuring, calculating slope of pathways, assessing classroom and laboratory accessibility, sidewalks, ramps; advise the ADA Director and team with regards to building construction and potential disruptions of ADA pathways, ramps, parking, seating, etc; assist with Wayfinding as appropriate; review all signage projects to insure compliance with the ADA signage standards; survey campus for potential ADA projects; manage ADA projects as assigned by the ADA Director; assist ADA Director with ADA-related projects as assigned.
The successful candidate must have the ability to resolve issues in an amicable manner and promote a team approach to problem solving. The successful candidate must have the ability to handle numerous tasks and balance a varied workload in a fast-paced environment with strong interpersonal skills. The successful candidate must have the proven ability to identify solutions, generate options, conclusions, and/or alternative approaches when problem solving.
- Degree in Architecture with experience that may equate to an advanced degree.
- Registered Architect or demonstrated ability to be registered as a Professional Architect in the Commonwealth of Virginia within 12 months of employment
- Professional experience with applying the ADA 2010 Standards for Accessible Design and the ADA Accessibility Guidelines in professional architectural practice
- Master's degree or experience in a related field
- Experience working in a higher education setting
- Experience with Commonwealth of Virginia (or other public agency) directives and higher education facilities requirements.
- Experience with the application of ADA requirements in public and/or large residential structures, engineering/architectural principles and practices of design, construction, and inspection processes for large and small projects.
- Strong working knowledge of the application of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Codes (Accessibility, Fire Protection, Electrical, etc), and related standards.
$80,000 - 85,000
August 10, 2020
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Advertised: June 11, 2020
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Professional Fields Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Architecture Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Other Professional Fields Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg