Assistant/Associate Professor, Sociology/Anthropology
School of Arts
Department: Social Sciences
Expected Start Date: Fall 2018
Deadline for Applying: Until position is filled.
The Department of Social Sciences in the School of Arts and
Sciences at the Lebanese American University invites applicants for
a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant/Associate
Professor in Sociology/Anthropology. The department is seeking a
highly qualified and motivated full-time faculty member who is
committed to innovative teaching, research, academic advising and
institutional and community service.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in a Minor Program in
Sociology and an MA Program in Migration Studies, and in research
methodology with emphasis on quantitative or qualitative
- Advise and mentor students
- Supervise MA students in Migration Studies
- Engage in service to the department, the university and the
- Contribute to the development of the Sociology program and the
MA Program in Migration Studies
- Additional duties may be set by the department in light of
departmental needs and priorities.
- A PhD in Sociology/Anthropology from a well-recognized
University, preferably with a focus on Migration Studies.
- Background in quantitative and/or qualitative research
- Evidence of a research record, including research in the field
of Migration Studies.
- Evidence of an effective teaching experience in the field of
- Ability to secure external funding
The department offers four Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) programs in
political science, political science/international affairs,
psychology, and social work; two Master of Arts (M.A.) programs in
International Affairs and Migration studies; and five minors in
conflict analysis and resolution, legal studies, political
science/international affairs, psychology, and sociology. The
Department of Social Sciences consists of 15 full-time faculty
members and a number of part-time faculty members. The Department
of is dedicated to excellence in teaching and research, and is
committed to student-centeredness and to serving the community.
The Lebanese American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
operating in Lebanon under a charter from the Regents of the State
University of New York. Information about the University can be
found at http://www.lau.edu.lb.
Prospective candidates should apply electronically by sending a
letter of interest including a statement of teaching, research
interests, as well as professional and creative projects, an
updated CV, and unofficial transcripts by email to: email@example.com. The CV should include
the names, e-mails and phone numbers of three references. The
university reserves the right to contact additional references with
notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the
process. Candidates must refer to position no. AS-18-30, in
the subject line of the email.