Director of Communication and Marketing
Virginia Tech is seeking a director for communications and marketing for the College of Engineering who is responsible for strategic communications for the college. The position will direct and implement a comprehensive, integrated communications and marketing program that raises the visibility of the college (and in doing so, the university) and facilitates the development and delivery of effective communications for college departments that align with strategic goals of the college and university. The director provides a guiding vision for the college’s communication efforts to increase alumni engagement, participation, and fundraising results associated with university’s capital campaign.
The director reports to the assistant vice president for university relations and the assistant dean of advancement, College of Engineering. The director is a member of the college’s advancement team, supervises three communications staff members assigned to the college, and has a dual reporting responsibility (shared with the department head) of 11 departmental communications officers. The director oversees the search process of all college-based and departmental based communications officers, and working with the department head, shares the responsibility of developing annual work performance plans and the subsequent work performance review. Achieving consistency, message alignment, and cohesive marketing will require the director to build strong partnerships with department heads and other college leaders to ensure departmental communications needs are fulfilled, align with college and university goals, and support advancement communications needs.
The director provides strategic communications leadership in a highly collaborative environment within the college, the college’s advancement team, and other communications colleagues in University Relations and throughout the university. This individual must work well in teams, often taking the lead and sometimes serving in a supportive role with other communications personnel.
This individual oversees the communication strategy and implementation for the academic, research and advancement enterprises of the college, along with creating, executing and evaluating a wide variety of communications projects--including communications plans, news and feature stories, speeches, media pitches, publications, and similar items--for the college and the dean. While focused on the college, this position will help support the university’s commitment to growth in Blacksburg and the greater Washington, D.C., metro area.
Areas of responsibility include: all College of Engineering-based communication activities, including the content and messaging of college web sites and social media channels; strong collaboration with University Relations to leverage university platforms including Virginia Tech News, Virginia Tech Magazine, media relations, photography and videography resources, and social media channels; and ensure the consistent implementation of university identity standards and accessibility standards in college communications.
This position is designated emergency personnel.
The Director for Marketing and Communications should possess the following skills, abilities and experiences:
• Strategic communications planning, implementation, and evaluation for higher education, government, nonprofit, or educational and/or professional media organizations.
• Public presentation and communications skills.
• Coaching academic leaders, as well as directly, addressing the public through audio, video, and the written word.
• Comprehensive understanding of the print, electronic, digital, and social news cycles.
• A broad understanding of developing and emerging communications technologies and platforms.
• A proven ability to interpret analytics and data in order to build or adapt communications strategies around such findings.
• Social media, web, and market segmentation.
• High ethical standards.
• Representing and incorporating diverse constituencies and perspectives in communications.
• Working professionally on confidential issues.
This position requires a master’s degree in public relations, communication, journalism, marketing, or a related field, or bachelor’s degree with relevant experience that equates to an advanced degree.
• Experience in communications and marketing for a research-based organization.
• Experience in public relations management in higher education;
• Experience partnering with public relations officials in research sponsoring agencies;
• Experience in providing communications support at the executive level.
• Experience in alumni relations and fundraising communications and strategies.
Commensurate with experience
October 7, 2020
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Advertised: May 19, 2020
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Communications Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Other Communications Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Public Relations & Advertising Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg