Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F65430 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Assistant Professor Working Title Clinical Psychologist School/Unit School of Medicine Department Internal Medicine Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Non-Tenure Eligible Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
Research will focus on the areas of clinical psychology, pharmacogenomics and social behavioral research, with an emphasis on sickle ceel disease and chronic disease. One primary research goal will be to demonstrate evidence of whether and how various biobehavioral strategies help improve opioid prescribing and pain and opioid use outcomes for patients with acute and chronic pain, especially those with sickle cell disease.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
We are seeking a junior or mid-career behavioral research scientist to join a leading multidisciplinary program in translational, clinical, and implementation science in sickle cell disease. This scholar will work collaboratively and independently on research focused on:
● Understanding core and comorbid psychological symptoms and illness in individuals with SCD
● Management of biobehavioral factors in illness and health
● Improving access to biobehavioral health care for chronic pain patients
● Designing and pilot testing new interventions for opioid use management, misuse assessment, and misuse prevention
Other topics in SCD include cofactors of depression, medication adherence, health-related quality of life, silent cerebral infarct, cognition and neurocognitive evaluation, costs of care and resource utilization, and pain and pain-related neuroimaging (e.g., fMRI, PET, SPECT ).
There are no undergraduate classroom teaching responsibilities, but mentoring responsibilities for research staff and learners assisting in research are required.
Research will focus on the areas of clinical psychology, pharmacogenomics, and social behavioral research, with an emphasis on sickle cell disease and chronic disease. One primary research goal will be to demonstrate evidence of whether and how various biobehavioral strategies help improve opioid prescribing and pain and opioid use outcomes for patients with acute and chronic pain, especially those with sickle cell disease. This will help the team to focus on pharmacogenomic and behavioral research to improve the safety of opioid prescribing in patients with acute and chronic pain, including SCD . Team members include Dr. Wally Smith, Dr. Thokozeni Lipato, Dr. India Sisler, Dr. Cecelia Valrie, Dr. Dace Svikis, Dr. M. Imad Damaj, Dr. Egidio Del Fabbro, Daniel Sop, doctoral student in Engineering, and a new Pre-doctoral student in Pharmacology interested in SCD research and funded by TRIPN (Dr’s Aaron Linsdsey and Wally Smith, advisors)
Clinical time will be completely spent on patients with Sickle cell disease, currently seen on ACC 4th floor. In addition, position will supervise provision of clinical services by post doctoral fellow or practicum students who would provide services under guidance of this clinician.
Professional development and administrative time will be spent participating in didactics and attending psychiatry grand rounds, and engaging with the postdoctoral fellowship in clinical psychology. Supervision of a practicum could increase clinical reach by 30% at no additional cost to us. Sometime will be allocated for Continuing Education Units and Licensure Requirements.
• Ph.D. or Psy.D. in Clinical, Counseling, Health, or Rehab Psychology from an APA accredited program and training and experience in clinical, counseling, health, or rehab psychology
• Commitment to a career in sickle cell research
• Experience working with diverse and disenfranchised communities
• Licensed or license eligible in the Commonwealth of Virginia
• Experience conducting research in areas related to the intersection between psychology and medicine
• Demonstrated postdoctoral research training
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
• Academic Medical Center experience
• History of submitted research for publication
Date Posted 02/03/2020 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date Proposed Hire Date 07/01/2020 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
Interested candidates should apply online at https://www.vcujobs.com
For additional information, please contact:
Wally R. Smith, MD
Posted Salary Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/96977 Diversity Statement Information Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Ph.D. or Psy.D. in Clinical, Counseling,
Health, or Rehab Psychology from an APA accredited program and
training and experience in clinical, counseling, health, or rehab
- * Do you have experience conducting research in areas related
to the intersection between psychology and medicine?
- * Do you have history of submitted research for publication?
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3