Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F65940 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Assistant Professor Working Title Assistant Professor School/Unit School of Medicine Department Biochemistry Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Tenure Eligible Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
The mission of the Department Biochemistry & Molecular Biology falls into two important categories: teaching and research. We address important research problems and provide high quality opportunities for pre-and postdoctoral trainees. Biochemistry and molecular biology are the underpinnings of modern biomedical science and our Department provides this background for all trainees at VCU, regardless of the direction the future may take them in.
In research, fundamental discoveries are enabled by outstanding faculty, state of the art instrumentation, and great resources that exist within the Department, School of Medicine, the Massey Cancer Center, and the institution at large. A unique collaborative spirit reinforced through graduate student and postdoctoral fellowship training and through engagement of our faculty in scientific interactions is at the core of our mission. The Department has research efforts of international stature in several multi-disciplinary research areas in cellular and molecular biology, bioactive lipids, metabolism, cancer, cardiovascular and neuroscience. The Department is committed to enhancing diversity among its faculty, staff, and students. Finally, the Department faculty have a responsibility to provide service to their profession and to the university community.
In education, our teaching methods help to reinforce difficult concepts and provide individualized attention that fosters training of the highest quality. A program of instruction in teaching for our junior faculty, postdoctoral fellows and students ensures that future teachers have the necessary tools to communicate clearly and effectively.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
The Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology in the School of Medicine is seeking to fill a tenure-track faculty position in line with our research and teaching mission.
Establish a laboratory to successfully contribute to the department research mission concerning grant submissions, publications, and training of graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.
The faculty member will have teaching responsibilities in the areas relevant to their expertise. Possible course assignments may include but are not limited to: MI Medical Biochemistry; BIOC503/BIOC504; BIOC602; BIOC604. In addition, faculty will mentor research projects of graduate students who are registered for BIOC697.
• Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or a closely related discipline.
• Track record of publications in high-impact journals in the areas of bioactive lipids, metabolism, cancer, neuroscience, or cardiovascular.
• Have a well-developed scholarly/research portfolio with evidence of multi-disciplinary applications and external funding appropriate to complement and expand existing expertise in the department.
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU .
Date Posted 03/02/2020 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date Proposed Hire Date 06/01/2020 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
If you have specific questions please contact the Biochemistry Administrative Office at 804-828-9762.
Posted Salary Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/97785 Diversity Statement Information Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond