Job Code/Title Position Number H19012 Working Title Program Counselor Department Community Service Programs Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Anticipated Hiring Range $9.00-12.00, to commensurate with experience Campus Monroe Park Campus Position Type Hourly Hours/Week 28 Normal work days M-F, sporadic evening/weekend Normal work hours 8:30AM-4:30PM Job Category Miscellaneous Does this position provide patient or clinical services to the VCU Health System? No Does this position require a pre-placement medical assessment? No Is any portion of this position grant-funded? No Sensitive Position Yes- A pre-employment fingerprint background check will be required. Resource Critical No Description of the Job
Lobs & Lessons, operating out of the Mary and Frances Youth Center on the VCU campus MFYC, is an afterschool and summer enrichment program for elementary and middle school age youth that focuses on character development, future orientation and the sport of tennis. Lobs & Lessons will offer five weeks of summer camp to elementary and middle school youth. A camp counselor is responsible for being an active part of all camp activities to include team building, swimming, life skills lessons and tennis. A camp counselor is the most important person in a camper’s life, and this job should not to be taken lightly. The most successful counselors are those who are able to manage multiple priorities, create fun in an instant, maintain high energy and serve as a positive role model in camper’s lives.
Position: Full-time (five weeks)
Hours: 8:30am- 4:30pm
Dates: Training: June 15-19 / Camps: June 22-July 17, July 27-31
• Assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of campers.
• Maintain high standards of health and safety in all activities for campers and staff.
• Participate in implementation of program activities for campers:
o Lead, co-lead or assist with daily activity lessons (art, nutrition, ect.)
o Lead or assist with team building games, meals and
o Lead on-court tennis instructions (training provided)
o Swim daily with campers and manage youth in locker rooms
• Provide additional support to the program staff as necessary.
• At least 18 years of age with experience and desire to work with children; specifically in afterschool, summer or classroom settings.
• Ability to communicate effectively (written and verbal) with staff, parents and volunteers.
• Proven ability to maintain high levels of endurance, positive attitude and leadership abilities.
• Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, self-motivator, responsible and adaptability.
• Physical Requirements of the Job:
• Ability to lift up to 25 pounds and withstand daily exposure to sun and heat.
• Willing to work in a camp setting; inside and outside.
• Willingness to swim appropriately with the youth; no fear of the water.
Preferred Qualifications Job Open Date 03/03/2020 Remove from posting on or before 04/03/2020 Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include your resume and cover letter that speak towards your experience serving youth.
Additional Information Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/97856 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Part Time jobs in Richmond
- Academic Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Richmond
- Extension Services Not specified Part Time jobs in Richmond
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Part Time jobs in Richmond
- Community Relations & Institutional Outreach Not specified Part Time jobs in Richmond