Dental Hygienist Faculty
Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F54880 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Open Working Title Dental Hygienist Faculty School/Unit School of Dentistry Department General Practice Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Non-Tenure Eligible Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
The primary mission of the School of Dentistry is to educate practitioners of Dentistry capable of meeting the general oral health needs of the communities they serve. Integral parts of the mission are research and other scholarly activity, patient care, and leadership in dental education and organized dentistry, and collaboration and participation with other units with VCU and VCU Health Systems.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
The purpose of this position is to provide didactic, clinical or laboratory teaching to assist dental hygiene students in developing the knowledge and skills to provide oral health care to a diverse patient population. Faculty instructors are responsible for developing teaching materials, providing instruction, engaging students and evaluating student learning outcomes. Clinical faculty instructors are responsible for providing hands-on instruction and support in clinic and pre-clinic courses.
The primary responsibility of this role is teaching and clinical instruction to prepare baccalaureate dental hygiene students; assist the dental program and provide didactic and clinical instruction to professional dental and dental hygiene students; direct projects, and participate in the development and revision of curricula, and mentor students. Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Engage in ongoing professional development to maintain a broad knowledge of evidence-based research in teaching.
- Serve as a member of the Dental Hygiene Admissions Committee, provide CPR training for students and faculty of the School of Dentistry as well as providing continuing education for healthcare professionals.
- Comply with university policies; provide service to the community and the profession, and support the programs mission and goals.
- Attend meetings and assisting the program director, department chair or Dean in any university related requested projects.
- Masters degree or higher in dental hygiene education or a related field.
- Graduate of a program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation.
- Current license to practice dental hygiene.
- One year minimum of clinical experience as a hygienist.
- Didactic teaching experience required.
- Certification in local anesthesia and nitrous oxide/oxygen sedation.
- Current CPR certification.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills.
- A demonstrated potential for leadership.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU .
Prior teaching experience.
Date Posted 11/25/2019 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date Proposed Hire Date 02/10/2020 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
Candidates must apply to through the university’s career website at https://www.vcujobs.com/ to be considered for this position. Submit cover letter, CV and two references; include names, email addresses and phone numbers for the references.
Posted Salary Commensurate Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/95593 Diversity Statement Information Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3
- Other Document