Adjunct Instructor - English Composition (On-Ground)
Job Summary/Basic Function
In keeping with our mission and vision statement, Maryville actively seeks adjunct faculty members who are experts in their fields and have a passion for teaching. Adjunct faculty are an integral part of the University’s learning community and teach courses online and/or on main campus. The successful candidate must be committed to fostering a welcoming environment for a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff.
The College of Arts & Sciences is accepting applications for academically/professionally qualified adjunct faculty members to teach English 101 and/or English 104 undergraduate courses. These are both English Composition courses. Candidates must be committed to fostering a culturally diverse atmosphere for faculty, staff and students.
Refer to the Special Instructions to Applicants section for information regarding specific and general course needs.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
- Teach assigned course as specified in the schedule and course contract.
- Participate in welcome orientation to become familiar with the University’s mission, academic policies and procedures, expectations, and Canvas (Learning Management System).
- Prepare essential learning objectives, lesson plans, and assignments. Develop course syllabus.
- Clearly communicate course objectives and learning outcomes, teaching methodology, and assignments and deadlines.
- Employ a variety of teaching styles in order to effectively deliver course content demonstrating both academic and real-world applications of concepts covered.
- Encourage active learning through discussion topics, class assignments, group projects, etc.
- Provide feedback and grade assignments in a timely and thorough manner.
- Establish office hours to provide additional assistance with student questions/concerns.
- Report early alerts for students who are not actively engaging in the course.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in English or related field
- Prior undergraduate teaching experience
- Must be available to teach on-ground at our main campus located in St. Louis, MO.
- Ph.D. in English, Rhetoric and Composition, or related field.
- Experience teaching composition courses is preferred
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
o The Department is using this position announcement to build a qualified pool of instructors to fill teaching needs as they arise. This position is not designated for a specific course or semester.
o An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background screening.
o Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment authorization will not be considered for this position.
o Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and prohibiting discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring, training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and termination.
Advertised: May 21, 2020
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Creve Coeur
- Humanities Not specified Full Time jobs in Creve Coeur
- English & Literature Not specified Full Time jobs in Creve Coeur
- Foreign Languages & Literatures Not specified Full Time jobs in Creve Coeur
- Other Humanities Not specified Full Time jobs in Creve Coeur