Teaching & Research
Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F61550 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Open Working Title Teaching & Research School/Unit School of Medicine Department Anatomy Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Tenure Eligible Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
Research and teaching are the joint, central missions of the Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology. Our faculty are devoted to the performance of high quality research in multiple domains of neuroscience. At the same time, we seek to educate the next generation of professional (Medicine, Dentistry, and Allied Health) and graduate students, and to fully prepare them for successful careers. Candidates will thus be expected to contribute to graduate and/or professional student teaching experiences related to one of the department’s core activities in the areas of gross anatomy, histology, or neuroscience.
The positions are supported by state funds, with the successful candidates joining 15 full-time neuroscience faculty who are supported by substantial extramural funding. At the assistant professor level, positions will be offered to an individual with outstanding academic preparation and a solid publication record, with potential for, or evidence of, the ability to secure extramural funding. At the associate or full professor level, successful applicants will have an outstanding publication record, complemented by substantial extramural support. For all the positions identified, the candidates’ research must integrate with the research directions of the department in glial cell biology, neuroplasticity, and traumatic brain injury and repair. Further, it is anticipated that the candidates’ research efforts will have translational impact.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
The chief purpose of this position is to develop and conduct a dynamic research program that complements the goals of the department, while participating in the teaching mission of the department at both the professional and graduate level.
1) Teaching: The successful candidate will participate in one of the professional teaching activities of the department involving either gross anatomy, histology, cell biology, embryology, and/or neuroscience. In addition to this professional school teaching, the successful candidate will be expected to participate in graduate education involving both formal platform presentations and laboratory mentoring.
2) Research: The successful candidate is expected to maintain a dynamic and well-funded research program that complements the existing strengths of the department in terms of glial cell biology, neuroplasticity, and/or CNS injury and repair. It is anticipated that the successful candidate will continue to expand his/her research program consistent with the expectations of VCU’s Quest for Distinction.
3) Service: The service related responsibilities of this position will require participation on various departmental, school, and university committees while also providing service to the profession by participating in journal review, study section service, and/or service as an officer of a national society.
Applicants should possess a PhD, MD, or DDS degree or equivalent with demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or a commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU .
Date Posted 06/29/2018 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date Proposed Hire Date 11/01/2018 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
Interested candidates should apply online at https://www.vcujobs.com. Please submit a curriculum vitae, letter of research interest and the names, addresses and contact information for three professional references.
Review of applications will begin immediately and the positions will remain open until filled.
For additional information contact search committee chair, Dr. Rory McQuiston, at email@example.com.
Posted Salary Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/80672 Diversity Statement Information Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * If you selected 'Other' for your referral source please
indicate where you heard about this posting. (If you did not select
'Other,' please enter 'n/a.')
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you find out about this position?
- Alumni association magazine
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Community event
- Email notification
- HERC (Higher Ed Recruitment Consortium)
- Higher education publication
- Internal Recruiter
- Job fair
- Job site (e.g. Monster.com)
- Professional association/journal
- Referred by person/employee
- Search firm notification
- VCU vacancy listing - eJobs
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond