Chair, Department of Periodontics
Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F62130 Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Open Working Title Chair, Department of Periodontics School/Unit School of Dentistry Department Periodontics Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Tenure Eligible Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
The primary mission of the School of Dentistry is to educate practitioners of Dentistry capable of meeting the general oral health needs of the communities they serve. Integral parts of the mission are research and other scholarly activity, patient care, and leadership in dental education and organized dentistry, and collaboration and participation with other units with VCU and VCU Health Systems.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
The position will provide departmental leadership for academic programs, research development, university and professional service, and patient care.
The chair is expected to lead the teaching responsibilities of the department and support the overall teaching of the DDS, dental hygiene, advanced dental education, and graduate programs. The chair will foster interdisciplinary educational programs involving the different departments within the School of Dentistry and the university. The chair should set the example and promote excellence in teaching. The chair, like all faculty members is expected to teach in an integrated curriculum system that includes baccalaureate, graduate, and professional education. Teaching across traditional departmental lines and in multidisciplinary teams is required. The chair is expected to foster transformative learning that is informed by interdisciplinary and translational research, teaching, scholarship, and creative expression. As appropriate, the chair provides clinical and classroom teaching and supervision in both the predoctoral and postdoctoral periodontics clinics and may act as a course director. The chair will support the preparation of postdoctoral residents for specialty board examination.
The chair is expected to conduct original research, seek extramural funding to support research and be a productive scholar. The chair will also provide mentoring to faculty members, students and postdoctoral trainees to develop research protocols and working collaboratively with other research programs and investigators within the School of Dentistry and the university.
The chair will be expected to represent the Department of Periodontics, the School of Dentistry, and Virginia Commonwealth University by serving on committees and task forces as requested. Participation in state and national level professional organizations as appropriate for the position and candidate’s expertise is required. Participation and/or support of the department’s participation in dentistry-related community service activities is required.
The chair will provide a leadership role in supporting patient care, working with students and residents, and working collaboratively with other faculty and staff to deliver high-quality patient-centered care, promote best business practices, and increase clinic productivity. Participation in faculty practice is optional.
Administrative or Other:
The chair will provide leadership and management of the department’s faculty and staff to include annual review and evaluation, mentoring for development and promotion and/or tenure review. The chair is also responsible for the departmental academic and clinical financial affairs, for ensuring compliance with school, university, and state policy and regulations. The Chair will be expected to provide and encourage specialty support to all departments for the DDS program in the School of Dentistry’s General Practice model.
• DDS or DMD or equivalent degree and be eligible for licensure in Virginia
• Completion of Commission on Dental Accreditation accredited advanced education program in periodontics
• Periodontics certificate required
• A record of academic achievement and scholarly activity
• Prior experience teaching didactic and clinical periodontics
• Desire to mentor future dental practitioners and demonstrate the ability, or acquire and develop such ability that incorporates adult learning theory, evidence-based oral health care, innovation in student learning, and critical thinking
• Demonstrated ability to contribute to and participate in a humanistic environment of learning and discovery
• Demonstrate the ability to adapt to change and embrace modern technologies
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
• National level service in professional organizations
• Board Certification by the American Board of Periodontology
• Clinical practice experience as well as practice growth and management experience
• Prior administrative or program leadership experience
Date Posted 10/24/2019 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date Proposed Hire Date 01/10/2020 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
For further information about this position contact the Search Chair, Dr. Iain Morgan, VCU School of Dentistry, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates must apply to this faculty position through the university’s career website at https://www.vcujobs.com/ to be considered for this position.
Posted Salary Commensurate Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/94515 Diversity Statement Information Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document