Post Doctoral Fellow
Job Code/Title Position Number PD001 Working Title Post Doctoral Fellow Department Massey Cancer Center Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Anticipated Hiring Range $50,004 Campus MCV Campus Position Type Post Doc Hours/Week Normal work days Normal work hours Job Category Research Does this position provide patient or clinical services to the VCU Health System? No Does this position require a pre-placement medical assessment? No Is any portion of this position grant-funded? No Sensitive Position Yes- A pre-employment fingerprint background check will be required. Resource Critical Yes Description of the Job
We are seeking applications from highly motivated Postdoctoral Fellows to join the laboratory of Dr. Sebti at Massey Cancer Center and the department pf Pharmacology and Toxicology at the Virginia Commonwealth University. The research focus of the laboratory is to understand at the basic science level how normal cells become malignant and to translate such fundamental knowledge to the clinic. Specifically, the candidates will be involved in exciting and highly integrated inter-disciplinary research projects concerning understanding aberrant oncogenic KRas signal transduction pathways in cancer and designing novel anti-cancer drugs based on this knowledge.
Examples of projects that the candidates will be performing and responsible for are:
1. Understanding how oncogenic K-Ras and Ral GTPase regulate the tumor suppressor p53.
2. Identifying kinases that are synthetically lethal with mutant K-Ras.
3. Identifying small molecules that bind K-Ras and inhibit its GTP activation, binding to its effectors and blocking oncogenesis.
4. Identifying cell surface proteins specifically expressed on human cancers that harbor mutant K-Ras.
5. Developing dual FTase and GGTase -1 inhibitors as novel anti-cancer drugs targeting human tumors that harbor mutant K-Ras.
1. Hands-on experience in cancer molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology and/or pharmacology
2. Experience with in vitro and in vivo assay development as it relates to drug discovery
3. Ability to design and perform experiments, to manage research projects, and to analyze and interpret data, to make conclusions and plan forward.
4. Ability to maintain detailed documentation through electronic and notebook means.
5. Excellent past productivity as documented by publications
6. Demonstrated creativity, high motivation, solid communication skills and experience in writing progress reports and manuscripts for peer-reviewed publications.
7. Ability to work independently as well as demonstrated ability to work professionally and efficiently within the research group as a team player.
8. A good understanding of biology and a track record in working closely with experimentalists and clinicians is preferred.
Education: Highly talented individuals with PhD with 0-3 years postdoctoral training and extensive experience in cancer molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology, pharmacology, in vivo anti-tumor efficacy in animal models and/or drug discovery
Preferred Qualifications Job Open Date 10/18/2019 Remove from posting on or before Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicant materials must be submitted via the VCU jobs portal at vcujobs.com.
Health and dental benefits provided for postdoctoral positions can be viewed at https://research.vcu.edu/postdoc/health.htm.
Quick Link http://www.vcujobs.com/postings/89492 Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3