School of Public Service
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation,
stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan
research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State
and the City of Boise at https://go.boisestate.edu/join-our-team/.
Boise State University’s School of Public Service is dedicated
to excellence in innovative teaching, cutting edge scholarship and
meaningful community outreach, serving the State of Idaho, and our
regional, national and global communities. The School is comprised
of rich and diverse academic programs, including Criminal Justice,
Political Science, and Public Policy and Administration, as well as
interdisciplinary programs such as Environmental Studies, Global
Studies and Urban Studies and Community Development. The mission of
the school is supported by a variety of centers and institutes that
facilitate research and public engagement.
The School of Public Service seeks to hire two (2) tenure-track
Assistant Professors to contribute to a research and teaching
cluster organized around the theme of “Governance and Well-Being in
Sustainable Communities.” This is the second round of hiring
on this theme. These new faculty members will support the
growth of the interdisciplinary SPS programs Environmental Studies,
Global Studies, and Urban Studies and Community Development, as
well as existing MA, MPA, and PhD graduate programs.
Candidates’ areas of focus should address the cluster theme but
could do so from a variety of perspectives, including the
- Race, ethnicity, diasporic populations, and/or indigenous
nations or tribal communities.
- Migration and the movement of peoples in the shaping of
- Social and grassroots movements, non-profits, and
- Science, technology, and society, especially the intersection
of global, environmental, and/or urban change.
Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity
of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings,
and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the
institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal
opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically
underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are
a welcoming campus that supports diversity, equity, and
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach undergraduate courses in Environmental Studies, Global
Studies, and/or Urban Studies and Community Development.
- Contribute to the School of Public Service’s graduate programs
and undergraduate core.
- Engage in academic and public service scholarship.
- Engage in professional, university, and public service.
- PhD in a social science or humanities field. Advanced ABD
candidates will be considered.
- Interdisciplinary scholarship, teaching, and engagement.
- Ability to teach courses that incorporate race and
- Ability to teach within one or more of the following areas:
GIS, qualitative methods, or big data.
- Interest in experiential learning approaches.
- Interest in building research on the Intermountain West
The successful candidate will possess the following knowledge,
skills, and abilities:
- Interest and potential in building a strong research record in
the social sciences or humanities.
- Interest and potential in producing high quality peer reviewed
and public service scholarship.
- Interest, experience, and/or ability to promote cultural
competency and/or diversity.
Salary and benefits: Competitive salary,
plus an excellent benefits package is available for eligible
employees. For more information visit: http://hrs.boisestate.edu/careers/benefits/
Required Application Materials: Please
submit a cover letter indicating your interest and qualifications
for this position, curriculum vita, a written sample of your
research, and transcripts (unofficial are acceptable). In
addition, please include a 2-page statement of your approach to
teaching, including a summary of recent teaching evaluations and
contributions you would make to our programs. Please also
include a 2-page statement of research output and trajectory giving
context to the quality and placement of your research. Please
indicate scholarship variety, including peer-reviewed publications,
commissioned reports, public service scholarship, etc., and
identify the ways in which your work is interdisciplinary.
Letters of recommendation will be requested before on-campus
Any inquiries regarding the position may be sent to Dr. Nisha
Bellinger at email@example.com.
Closing Date: The deadline for
applications is October 20th, 2019, 11:59 PM MST.
About the University: https://www.boisestate.edu/about/
About the School: http://sps.boisestate.edu