Medical Interpreter Instuctor
About Roxbury Community College:
Roxbury Community College is an urban, public, 2-year College serving a diverse community including peoples of color, recent immigrants and nontraditional populations. The College mission is to facilitate student success in achieving educational goals through the delivery of high quality transfer and career programs. RCC strives to honor traditional commitments, and to be responsive to new challenges and insights through workforce training, ESOL and community education. The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Roxbury Community College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its staff. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Responsible for the implementation of the Medical Interpreter Training Program to students enrolled in the program.
Additional duties may include:
- Responsible for quality classroom instruction to students enrolled in the Medical Interpreter course.
- Participation in the review and evaluation of the course and the assessment of student performance.
Supervision Received: Reports to the Director of Corporate & Community Education.
- Represent the school in a positive manner with prospective, former, and current students, staff and the community.
- Present oneself in the classroom setting in a manner that is acceptable and consistent with program and school guidelines, policies, and practices.
- Organize and present various curriculum concepts to a wide range of students with varying backgrounds and abilities and adjust teaching techniques accordingly.
- Supervise, demonstrate and teach students, in a classroom setting, according to established national and industry standards.
- Evaluate, report and record student performance and progress to program administrators in a timely manner
- Responsible for the computation of grades and recording of critical information to administrative staff
- Monitor student progress and performance and make referrals when deemed necessary.
- Assumes responsibility, deal effectively with problems, and exercises sound judgment when making decisions.
- Request supplies, as needed, to support the program
- Ensures that the program complies with the Medical Interpreter guidelines from the National Certification for Medical Interpreters.
- Responsible for the monitoring of accepted Codes of Ethics and standards of practice and addresses in detail the process of National Certification for Medical Interpreters for students enrolled in the program.
- Pre-assignment of students learning experience with the necessary occupation-specific and employability skills for success in the work place, and the establishment/ maintenance of relationships in the interpretation practice setting.
- Maintaining required documents: class rosters, course syllabus, classroom sign in/out logs and student progress notes.
- Provide an environment conducive to student success to include student concerns, assisting students to develop strategies for success and refer students to campus and community resources, as appropriate.
- Participates in course meetings as scheduled, on an as needed basis
- Maintains expertise in area of teaching responsibility
- Implementing hands-on practice through role play and group practice as doctors, nurses, patients and other medical staff
- Presenting video demonstrations of effective interpretation techniques and Medical terminology.
Candidate should hold Current licensure as a Medical Interpreter Instructor with the National Certification for Medical Interpreters with a minimum of two (2) years of Medical Interpreter classroom instruction. Proof of certification/licensing is required to be considered for the job.
- Possess strong human relations skills and abilities to effectively relate to diverse personalities.
- Read, understand and express oneself clearly and effectively in oral and written form.
- Be a creative, energetic, and self-motivated individual with demonstrated leadership and organizational skills.
- Possess a working knowledge of personal computers and educational media equipment.
Compensation: Medical interpreter instructor rate will be competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Appointment is subject to SORI (Sexual Offense Registry Information) background check, and a publicly accessible Massachusetts CORI (Criminal Offense Registry Information) background check.
Roxbury Community College is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, age, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity or sexual orientation in its programs and activities as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and college policies. The College prohibits sexual harassment including sexual violence. Inquiries or complaints concerning discrimination, harassment, retaliation, or sexual violence shall be referred to the College's Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, the Equal Employment Opportunities Commission or the United States Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights.
The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act require all institutes of higher education to disclose campus policy statements and crime statistics. Our annual report is available at www.rcc.edu/clery.