Department Head, Family and Consumer Sciences
Education and Professional Studies
Requested Start Date:
August 1, 2020
Commensurate with experience
Normal Work Schedule:
8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday, some evening and weekends required
The Department Head, Family and Consumer Sciences is the educational and chief administrator responsible for the Department and shall report directly to the Dean of the School, who is responsible to the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs for the successful management of the Department. The Department Head provides vision, leadership, direction, and expert administration, and ensures the participation of faculty in teaching, research, publication, and community service.
The Department Head may be required to teach courses within his/her concentration area on campus, off-campus, online courses and possible videoconferencing depending on need of location.
- Responsible for teaching doctorate, graduate and undergraduate level courses in Family and Consumer Sciences along with doctoral level research and advanced data analysis.
- Responsible for curriculum and program development, advisement, professional development activities, and grant writing within the emergency management area.
- Develops and implements a program of instruction that meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of students and is consistent with the university, SACS accreditation, and state study and curriculum guides.
- Assesses student’s abilities as related to desired educational goals and objectives, in order to maximize student achievement.
- Serves as advisor and mentor for students.
- Plans and employs a variety of appropriate instructional/learning strategies and activities which are compatible with the physical facility but serves the needs and capabilities of the students.
- Manages the behaviors of learners in the classroom and participates in the management of student behavior in other parts of the campus, in order to provide a general environment conducive to the learning process.
- Communicates continually to students (either in writing or verbally) in regards to instructional expectations, student progress or lack of progress.
- Responsible for recoding students’ attendance and keeps attendance registers, according to JSU policy.
- Actively participates in and works with university personnel in planning effective instructional goals, objectives, methods and curriculum.
- Exhibits a commitment and ability to conduct scholarly activities and engage in professional, university, and community service.
- Participates in professional growth and development activities including staff meetings, and in-service and staff development activities as required or assigned.
- Assists in the documentation of student progress by efficiently maintaining and submitting appropriate records and reports.
- Ensures that the classroom or instructional environment is healthful and safe and generally conducive to learning.
- Agrees to participate in extra-curricular activities as requested by the Dean of the school.
- Participates and belongs to educational/professional associations (within concentration) and participates in their activities.
- Fulfill faculty responsibilities as stated by institutional and departmental policy and by administration.
- Serves on departmental and university committees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- An earned doctorate in one of the following Career Tech Education, Child Development, Nutrition, Dietetics (registered Dietitian status preferred), Health Education or a related field, or Higher Education Administration (with a minimum of 18 graduate hours in one of the FCS concentrations)
- A minimum of one (1) year administrative experience such as department head, assistant department, director, assistant director, program leader/coordinator, or similar responsibility
- The successful candidate will also have accomplishments sufficient to meet requirements of the rank of Associate Professor or Professor at JSU in teaching, service, and scholarly publications.
- A successful record of full-time University teaching experience with an earned rank of Associate Professor or Professor preferred.
- Cover Letter
- Resume or CV
- Unofficial Transcript (Official Transcripts will be requested during interviews)
- Teaching Philosophy
Additional Information: None
Supplemental Questions: None
Clery Notice: In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, https://clerycenter.org/policy-resources/the-clery-act/ the Jacksonville State University Police provide information on crimes statistics, crime prevention, law enforcement, crime reporting, and other related issues for the past three calendar years. The JSU Annual Campus Security and Fire Report is available online at: http://jsu.edu/police/docs/CleryAnnualReport.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity: JSU is an Equal Employment, Equal Opportunity, and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Education Administration & Leadership Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville
- Other Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Jacksonville