Job Vacancy Announcement
Full Time or Part Time
Hiring Salary Range
Commensurate with Education and Experience
Fixed Term/Tenure Track (Faculty Only)
Regular or Temporary
Job Description Summary
Responsible for the day-to-day operation and management of an
effective financial reporting and internal control program that
adequately supports the institution. This includes grants
accounting, accounts payable, account reconciliations, journal
entries, account creation, and accounting entries for capital
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required. CPA preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of public accounting with accounting and/or
auditing firm, preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in governmental and/or fund
- Minimum of 3 years of Higher Institution accounting,
- Minimum of 3 years of Auditing experience, preferred.
- Ability to assess priorities, assign resources and maintain
composure and diplomacy at all times.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to
proactively manage a variety of projects and timelines; demonstrate
initiative, resourcefulness and an ability to manage multiple
assignments and deliverable.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to a culture of excellence,
integrity and accountability.
- Superior work ethic and a dedication to the highest work
quality and job excellence.
- Experience working with a complex financial management
CRITERIA : The following criteria, which are not the sole criteria
used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review the
applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum
qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be
interviewed. Other information and observations made during the
interview process may be considered in the selection process.
Resume/CV and cover letter are required with the application.
Please ensure that your documents address the criteria listed below
for this position.
- Prepares, examines, and analyzes accounting records, financial
statements, and other financial reports to assess accuracy,
completeness and conformance to reporting and procedural
- Documents financial transactions by entering account
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial
reporting and general ledger structure.
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and year-end accounting entries and
- Works with Senior Accountant/Budget Officer to ensure a clean
and timely year end audit.
- Reconciles financial discrepancies by collecting and analyzing
- Prepares journal entries and reconciles various general ledger
- Interacts with outside agencies, independent auditors and
- Assists in the development and implementation of new procedures
and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Review and recommend changes to workflow and internal control
- Provides support to grants accountant to include financial
- Establishes new account numbers.
- Prepares the federal and state reports at year end.
- Monitors, prepares reports, and invoices for all capital
improvement projects funded by state and county government.
- Investigates and resolves any issues with capital leases,
journal entries, or incorrect payments.
- Assists with the preparation of financial statements and
footnotes for the fiscal year end audit.
- Works with auditors to provide end of year information
regarding fixed asset schedules, leases, statement of cash flows,
and notes to the financial statements.
- Complies with federal, state, and local financial legal
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Is Background Check Required?
- Must be available to work Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30
p.m. Work schedule subject to change based on the needs of the
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present
acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a
U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
- A background investigation will be conducted prior to offer of
employment. A signed authorization for release of personal
information will be required if selected for an interview.
Open Until Filled
Background Check Statement
Prince George’s Community College is committed to providing a safe
campus community. PGCC conducts background investigations for
applicants being considered for employment. Background
investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record
check, education verification, and when appropriate, a financial
(credit) report or driving history check.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Prince George’s Community College values the safety of its
students, faculty, and staff. As part of that commitment, the
College has announced effective October 21, 2021, all students,
faculty, and staff must be vaccinated against COVID -19 or tested
for the virus weekly. As a prospective or new employee, you will be
required to comply with this mandate and all the necessary safety
protocols, including wearing a mask. Please direct your questions
related to the vaccination, testing, mask mandates, and
requirements for exemptions to VMPO@pgcc.edu .
; you will receive an email
acknowledging receipt of your application, upon which time no
further communication occurs unless selected for an interview or
the position is filled. If recommended for hire, communication is
immediately sent to your references listed on your application.
Also, you will receive an email notification from HireRight
requesting you to submit authorization to complete a background
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following best describes your level of completed
education? (Education details must be included in your
- Master's Degree or above from an accredited
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college/university
- Associate's Degree from an accredited college/university
- One to two years of college credit (30 credit hours is
equivalent to one year)
- Less than 30 credits from an accredited college/university
- High School Diploma or GED
- None of the above
- * Are you a CPA? Please provide documentation.
- Active CPA
- Current CPA Candidate
- * Briefly describe your experience referenced in the previous
question. Do not enter 'See Resume'
(Open Ended Question)
- * Have you supervised personnel a minimum of two years?
- * Please describe in detail the extent of your supervisory
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- HigherEd Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Personal Referral
- PGCC Website
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook)
- The Chronicle of Higher Ed
- The Washington Post
- Other: Please indicate below
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity? If you
selected 'Other' please indicate source:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2