Louisville Seminary is seeking an individual to serve as
Academic Dean for a five-year renewable term in a tenured faculty
position. The position offers an excellent salary and benefits
package and a collegial atmosphere.
Louisville Seminary has been serving the Reformed tradition for
more than 160 years, and we are committed to continuing that
relationship. Candidates must be able to move comfortably within
this context and support students preparing to minister in churches
of the Reformed tradition. At the same time, Louisville Seminary
seeks candidates who are able to move comfortably in an
increasingly diverse ecumenical community embracing many
traditions. We are committed to growing as a multicultural and
anti-racist place of learning and living and to deepening
ecumenical and interreligious learning. The ideal candidate will be
a visionary, inclusive, transformative, and decisive leader with
the demonstrated ability to be collaborative, innovative, and
- Serves as the chief academic officer of the Seminary and works
with the President and other senior administrators in all aspects
of the Seminary’s life.
- Gives effective strategic attention to the Seminary’s academic
programs, policies, and procedures, including curriculum, budget,
and other resources.
- Staffs the Academic Affairs Committee of the Board of Trustees
and advocates for the academic affairs of the Seminary.
- Provides leadership for and oversight of faculty matters
including performance, promotion, tenure, and professional
- Works with the Dean of Student Engagement in supporting
students’ academic formation.
- Gives care and attention to the concerns and cultivation of the
faculty, to issues of scholarship, research and teaching, and to
the design and implementation of the curriculum.
- Teaches and engages in their own research, scholarship, and
professional activities as time permits.
- Represents the Seminary as an accomplished scholar who
demonstrates a broad engagement with theological education and its
changing dynamics and models academic excellence.
The Dean is responsible directly to the President and is elected
by the Board of Trustees. The Dean oversees student and program
learning outcomes and assessment in collaboration with the faculty
and academic staff.
QUALIFICATIONS AND ATTRIBUTES
- A Ph.D. or its equivalent in a discipline appropriate to
- Master of Divinity or record of substantive commitment to the
life and mission of the church.
- Three to five years of administrative leadership
- Commitment to an intentionally inclusive and diverse academic
community, church, and society.
- A strong communicator with an ability to develop a sense of
collegiality and community among faculty, students, and staff.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities of relational skills,
integrity, fairness, transparency, collaboration, and
- Proven ability to work in complex systems and manage a budget
We anticipate making this appointment beginning in July 1, 2020.
Faculty rank will be determined on the basis of experience.
Interested candidates must send electronically: 1) a letter of
interest; 2.) curriculum vitae; and 3) three letters of reference
Dr. Shannon Craigo-Snell, Search Committee Chair
c/o Ms. Susan DiLuca at email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. All
applications must be received by October 15, 2019.
Louisville Seminary is an equal opportunity employer
and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age,
veteran status, or disability.