Associate Director, Energy Services
Responsible for the day-to-day energy operation, plumbing and HVAC systems as well as maintenance of equipment; maintains up-to-date records of inventory, equipment log books and preventative maintenance schedules; supervises Energy Services personnel; assists the Director of Facilities in the planning and development of the department; assists the Director of Capital Planning and Design in major capital projects and assist the Vice President for Facilities in developing long term energy strategies. Manage all central plant compliance with Federal, State and local regulatory compliance. Manage unionized trade associates in compliance with the CBA and established disciplinary and grievance procedures.
UNUSUAL WORK CONDITIONS:
Exposure to confidential information. Ability to respond to emergencies on a 24/7 basis.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL NEEDED:
EDUCATION: College degree, preferably in mechanical or electrical engineering.
EXPERIENCE: 10 years construction experience of power plants and complex office building(s). 5 of the 10 must be supervisory related. Experience with combined heat and energy cogeneration facility preferred. Office and communication skills including Microsoft Word and Excel. Demonstrated knowledge of all elements of plumbing, DDC controls, building automation, VFD’s, boiler operation, air conditioning and auxiliary equipment heating systems and auxiliary equipment. P1, Boilers License and S1 or S2 license preferred. Possession of EPA, OSHA or state licenses or certifications preferred. Must have a valid driver’s license in good standing.
SUPERVISION OF PERSONNEL:
(HVAC) Systems Mechanics (6), Plumbers (3), Plumber’s Assistant (1), Supervisor HVAC Controls (1)
REPORTS TO: Director, Facilities Management
1. Responsible for the efficient day-to-day operation of all controls, heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems located in campus facilities, underground distribution systems and Central Utilities Facility complex. This involves:
- Providing the optimum comfort level for staff in coordination with the highest level of equipment efficiency,
- Understanding the cogeneration installation including the ability to black start the system and operate in island mode.
- Complying with EPA and DEP regulations and requirements for all boilers, chemicals, fuel usage and all pollution producing equipment, including record-keeping and reporting ensuring appropriate safety measures of personnel and overseeing necessary training in accordance with internal, state and federal guidelines including OSHA implementing design changes to HVAC systems to improve system operation and save energy,
- Supervising the proper organization of university mechanical rooms to maintain a clean, safe and professional appearance.
- Generating steam, hot water and air, and ensuring the safe operation of all the associated pneumatic, electronic and mechanically operated valves, control devices and mechanisms,
- Recommending and interacting with sub-contractors engaged in repair modifications and renovations associated with HVAC systems.
2. Oversees and is responsible for the management mechanical and plumbing work orders in SchoolDude. This involves:
- Assignment of work orders and associated follow-up for timely completion, feedback to University users and compliance with the department’s standards for quality.
- Data mining of work orders to identify areas of continued maintenance that would be better resolved with a long term capital investment.
3. Ensures up-to-date records of all inventory, equipment log books and
preventative maintenance programs.
4. Supervises the Plumbing and Energy Services department personnel. This
- Interviewing and evaluating potential employees in coordination with the Office of Human Resources policies,
- Training staff in policies, procedures, the general energy operation and safety measures,
- Communicating effectively with staff concerning pertinent departmental and university matters.
5. Assists the Director of Facilities Management in the planning and development of the Energy Services department. This involves:
- Recommending capital expenditures necessary for HVAC upgrades or replacement of equipment,
- Recommending new or modifications to existing departmental policies,
- Recommending long-term upgrading and modifications of the high voltage electrical underground system distribution network.
6. Assists the Director of Campus Planning and Design in the planning, design and construction of Capital Improvement Projects (CI) and major building and renovation programs. This includes:
- Reviewing design submissions from outside designers at the various stages of design including conceptual, schematic, design development and construction documents,
- Recommending design solutions and timely value engineering,
- Evaluate proposed systems for constructability and ensure ease of maintenance,
- Review of submittals on an as needed basis to ensure conformity with design and campus standards,
- Establish and support design standards for the University to ensure specified and installed equipment is consistent with the quality and maintenance history desired by the University,
- Participate in start-up of key mechanical systems to ensure quality and performance,
- Involve facilities maintenance staff in turnover training as well as project documentation,
- Develop and implement preventative maintenance programs based on the completed installations to ensure the efficient and long term performance of mechanical systems.
7. Assists the Vice President for Facilities in the development of long term energy strategies and the hedging of purchased commodities. This includes:
- Providing energy consumption and projections for key commodities
- Reporting cogen facility performance for the creation of carbon energy credits
- Supporting the university’s environmental sustainability initiatives by tracking data to support the calculation of greenhouse gas emissions.
8. Participates in the professional development of the Energy Services department. This involves:
- Monitoring developments in energy management through the attendance at meetings, workshops and seminars,
- Fostering a team cooperative environment,
- Promoting an image of efficiency and courtesy throughout the university community consistent with the department’s mission,
- Attending staff meetings as requested,
- Communicating effectively with Manager concerning pertinent department or university matters.
9. Promotes safe and secure working conditions. This involves:
- Promoting the proper utilization of equipment and materials,
- Notifying supervisor immediately of any unsafe working conditions.
10. Performs other related duties as directed or dictated by responsibilities.
Duties may change and/or be added at any time.
Facilities - Admin
All offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory background check.
Fairfield University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, Veterans, and members of historically underrepresented groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with a disability.
Load a resume or CV first, then upload supporting documents including a cover letter at the bottom of the third page under the "My Experience" section where it says to upload a Resume/CV. You will be able to upload up to 5 other documents in this section. You will be unable to edit your application, so please have all documents available before applying. Faculty Positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email the additional documents to the applicable contact in the job description. Staff positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email them to email@example.com