Vice Chair of Education
Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F36500 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Open Working Title Vice Chair of Education School/Unit School of Medicine Department Pediatrics Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Tenure Eligible Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
Children’s Hospital of Richmond at Virginia Commonwealth University has demonstrated extensive growth in its training programs including, but not limited to the education of medical students, residents, and fellows. The department is committed to VCU’s mission to attract, support and empower the best possible academic clinicians and educators. Towards this goal, the Department of Pediatrics aims to expand its educational programs under the leadership of a dedicated Vice-Chair to serve as a champion of this effort and a champion of educational programs throughout ChoR. The successful candidate will hold the inagural Barry V Kirkpatrick Professorship in Pediatric Medical Education
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
The Vice Chair for Education will oversee all educational programs in the Department of Pediatrics and Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU, and lead the Department in building the highest level of undergraduate and graduate teaching achieving both national and international recognition for Children’s Hospital of Richmond and VCU
This position requires an extensive background in medical education leadership in health professions. The primary focus is on undergraduate medical students ( UME ) and residents/fellows ( GME ) within the department. In addition, the candidate will collaborate with educational leaders beyond the department to advance the educational mission of CHoR. The successful candidate must have an MD or DO degree and be Board Certified in Pediatrics. An advanced degree in education (MEd, PhD, or DEd) is preferred and a record of educational research is highly desirable. Responsibilities will also include further development of educational didactics (e.g., Residents as Teachers), mentorship, and growth of training programs, as well as, help to develop subspecialty programs. He or she will work in close collaboration with educational leaders including residency program directors, clerkship directors, and fellowship directors within the department and throughout CHoR.
Faculty member will serve on departmental, College, and/or University committees as necessary, as well as in a professional capacity in their field.
Faculty member will oversee all educational activities in the Department of Pediatrics and will lead the Department in providing trainees with the necessary resources to provide the highest level of evidenced-based practice standards. In addition the candidate will provide oversight for interdepartmental educational programs within CHoR. The Vice Chair will assist in developing GME applications and will ensure compliance with all UME and GME requirements. He or she will also be responsible for preparing the residency and fellowship programs for ACGME site visits and the UME program for LCME accreditation visits.
• MD or DO degree and Board Certified in Pediatrics
• Eligible for appointment at the rank Associate or Professor
• Training in medical education such as formal coursework or other professional development
• A minimum of 3 years of significant leadership experience in medical education (e.g program director, clerkship director, fellowship director, Dean’s office, etc)
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
• Advanced degree and/or certificate in education with an emphasis in Medical Education
• Experience in obtaining external funding for educational programs and conducting education research
• Established national track record for leadership in medical education
• A track record of educational scholarship/research
• 5-10 years of significant leadership experience in medical education (e.g program director, clerkship director, fellowship director, Dean’s office, etc)
Date Posted 06/29/2017 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date Proposed Hire Date 07/01/2018 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
Posted Salary Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/64125 Diversity Statement Information Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you find out about this position?
- Alumni association magazine
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Community event
- Email notification
- HERC (Higher Ed Recruitment Consortium)
- Higher education publication
- Internal Recruiter
- Job fair
- Job site (e.g. Monster.com)
- Professional association/journal
- Referred by person/employee
- Search firm notification
- VCU vacancy listing - eJobs
- * If you selected 'Other' for your referral source, please
indicate where you heard about this posting? (If you did not select
'Other,' please enter 'n/a.'
(Open Ended Question)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Curriculum & Instruction Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Education Administration & Leadership Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Other Education Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond