Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F60130 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Open Working Title Associate/Full Professor School/Unit School of Medicine Department Microbiology and Immunology Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Tenure Eligible Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
MCC will serve as a comprehensive center of excellence in cancer research, prevention and control, patient care and education. Our scientific members are driven by their shared commitment to conduct high-impact, collaborative transdisciplinary research that is shaped by the particular cancer problems in our region, with a special focus on vulnerable populations.
The mission of the Department of Microbiology & Immunology is to participate in the educational mission of the schools of Medicine, Dentistry, and Allied Health Professions, and to provide significant teaching contributions to graduate education. These teaching related goals are interfaced with a substantial research mission focused primarily on scientific endeavors in the area of microbial pathogenesis, allergic disease mechanisms, inflammation, cancer and analysis of lipid mediators involved in innate and adaptive immunity. We especially seek an investigator who has developed a research program studying aspects of tumor immunology with a direct relationship to immunotherapy at the basic or translational level.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
The chief purpose of this position is to recruit a highly accomplished researcher in the area of cancer immunology who will build a dynamic research program at VCU, participate in the teaching mission of the department at the professional and graduate levels, while also participating in and building a dynamic research program that complements the goals of the Department and Massey Cancer Center. The position is for an established investigator for a tenure track position at the rank of Associate or full Professor. Preference will be given for investigators with active funding. Interest in the immunology of the microbiome’s impact on tumor-host interactions would be a plus. The successful applicant would be expected to maintain an active research program and participate in the Department teaching and service opportunities as well as PhD, MD/PhD training. In addition the candidate will become a member of MCC and partake of all cancer center activities. The Department offers excellent laboratory facilities, competitive salary and startup packages, and access to numerous core facilities including flow cytometry, transgenic, knockout mouse development, microscopy core, lipidomics/metabolimics core as well as other cores to assist in your research program.
1. Teaching: The new faculty member will have teaching responsibilities primarily in immunology to both professional and graduate students. Possible course assignments may include but are not limited to: MICR505 (graduate immunology), MEDI14 (M1 Infection and Immunity): MICR686 (Advanced immunology). The Department teaching includes directed research training of PhD, MD/PhD students.
2. Research: The successful applicant is expected to obtain and maintain a nationally recognized research program with a record of publication in refereed journals and external funding. He/she is expected to develop interdisciplinary collaborations to enhance both the research program in immunology at VCU and MCC and mentor both MD/PhD and PhD students in their research laboratory.
3. Service: The candidate faculty member will serve on Departmental, MCC, College, and/or University committees as necessary, as well as in a professional capacity in their field, e.g., reviewer, conference organizer, etc.
4. Clinical: Only applicable if the successful has an MD degree.
5. Other (for instance administrative duties, etc.)
Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. plus postdoctoral training in Immunology or a closely related discipline
Recognized research program in an area related to the Department mission with an established record of publications in high-impact journals and success with securing external funding.
We seek an accomplished researcher with an established career in the are of Cancer Immunology for a tenure-track position at the Associate Professor or Professor level.
Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU .
Demonstrated strength in any area of cancer immunology, but preference will be given to candidates with a record of accomplishments and/or research plans focused on tumor immunology with interest of microbiome impact on tumor host interactions.
Date Posted 04/25/2018 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date Proposed Hire Date 07/01/2018 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
Interested applicants must apply online at www.vcujobs.com for position number F60130 and include a cover letter that includes a brief description of research interests, future research directions, CV, and contact information for three references. This position offers a competitive salary, start-up, and relocation package. For additional information, please contact F60130.
VCU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Posted Salary Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/78253 Diversity Statement Information Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you find out about this position?
- Alumni association magazine
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Community event
- Email notification
- HERC (Higher Ed Recruitment Consortium)
- Higher education publication
- Internal Recruiter
- Job fair
- Job site (e.g. Monster.com)
- Professional association/journal
- Referred by person/employee
- Search firm notification
- VCU vacancy listing - eJobs
- * If you selected 'Other' for your referral source please
indicate where you heard about this posting. (If you did not select
'Other,' please enter 'n/a.')
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3