Program Co-Leader, Cancer Molecular Genetics
Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F36090 Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Open Working Title Program Co-Leader, Cancer Molecular Genetics School/Unit School of Medicine Department Massey Cancer Center Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Tenure Eligible Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
VCU Massey Cancer Center is one of only 69 National Cancer Institute-designated institutions in the country that leads and shapes America’s cancer research efforts. Working with all kinds of cancers, Massey conducts basic science, translational, clinical and prevention and control cancer research, provides state-of-the-art treatments, and promotes cancer education and training. Since 1974, Massey has served as an internationally recognized center of excellence. It offers one of the largest selections of cancer clinical trials in Virginia and serves patients at multiple sites throughout the state. Its 1,000-plus researchers, clinicians and staff members are dedicated to improving the quality of human life by developing and delivering effective means to prevent, control and ultimately cure cancer.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
The Program Co-Leader, Cancer Molecular Genetics is responsible for the oversight, development, implementation and evaluation of the cancer molecular genetics related programs and initiatives at Massey Cancer Center.
The Virginia Commonwealth University ( VCU ) School of Medicine and Massey Cancer Center are seeking a successful scientist and leader to serve as the Program Co-Leader of the Cancer Molecular Genetics ( CMG ) research program at the cancer center. The CMG program consists of a multidisciplinary group of 26 investigators from 12 academic departments representing four schools. This tenure-eligible faculty position will be a key member of Massey’s leadership team.
• Provide oversight, development, implementation and evaluation of cancer molecular genetics related programs and initiatives at Massey Cancer Center
• Partner with the Director, Associate Directors and other Program Leaders at Massey to enhance the cancer center’s scientific goals and objectives
• Work closely with leadership to encourage and facilitate multidisciplinary collaboration and translational research at the cancer center
• Conduct fundamental research that can be translated into improved approaches for diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of neoplastic diseases
Research can include but not limited to the following areas:
• Epigenetic mechanisms in cancer development and progression: Understanding the regulation and interaction of histone modifications and other epigenetic controls including DNA methylation and miRNA; recognition of these post-translational modifications in DNA -chromatin complexes by nucleosome remodeling factors, and the role of miRNA in these processes
• Definition of the functional significance of genes involved in cancer development and progression, and exploiting this information to identify and validate promising targets
• Definition of the pathways that delete and silence tumor suppressor genes in human cancers
• PhD or MD/PhD
• Area of cancer research expertise in epigenetics or epigenomics
• Solid track record of scientific achievement reflected by both sustained and recent impactful publications and extramural peer-reviewed research funding in cancer related research as a Principal Investigator
• Proven leadership, relationship building, and strong communication skills
• Experience working in a matrix environment within academic medicine
• Proven success in collaborating with multi-disciplinary teams
• Demonstrated experience working with and fostering diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU
Date Posted 12/12/2016 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date Proposed Hire Date 05/01/2017 Type of Search Application Process/Additional Information
If interested, please apply online here at www.vcujobs.com to submit cover letter, CV, and a list of three references. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
This position offers a competitive salary, start-up, and relocation package. Qualified candidates with a solid record of scientific achievement and peer reviewed research funding will be appointed to an endowed chair position at the Massey Cancer Center and a tenure track appointment in the appropriate academic home department within the School of Medicine.
Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action university providing access to education and employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or disability
Posted Salary Quick Link http://www.vcujobs.com/postings/58394 Diversity Statement Information Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you find out about this position?
- Alumni association magazine
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Community event
- Email notification
- HERC (Higher Ed Recruitment Consortium)
- Higher education publication
- Internal Recruiter
- Job fair
- Job site (e.g. Monster.com)
- Professional association/journal
- Referred by person/employee
- Search firm notification
- VCU vacancy listing - eJobs
- If you selected 'Other' for your referral source, please
indicate where you heard about this posting? (If you did not select
'Other,' please enter 'n/a.'
(Open Ended Question)
Required Documents Optional Documents
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Other Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond