Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number M00678 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Clinical MD 100% MCVP Only FT Rank Assistant Professor Working Title Clinical Hospitalist School/Unit School of Medicine Department Internal Medicine Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Non-Tenure Eligible Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
• Excellent, evidence-based, efficient patient care
• Thorough and responsive medicine consultation and co-management of non-medicine patients
• Effective supervision, teaching and mentoring of Internal Medicine Housestaff and students
• Streamlined throughput process for admitted medicine patients across the health system
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
• Directly admit and care for patients on the general medicine inpatient service working on teams both with and without housestaff and students
• Improve quality and efficiency of inpatient care at VCUHS
• Provide high-quality general medicine consults
• Provide co-management services with other non-medicine specialties
• Develop General Medicine faculty with interests in Hospital Medicine, clinical research, and teaching
• Mentor residents in evidence-based inpatient medical care
• Establish a venue for inpatient clinical research
• Work within the hospital system and with other departments to further the efficient throughput of admitted Internal Medicine patients
1. Teaching – Staff inpatient housestaff teaching service with learners including medical students, interns and residents; use contemporary adult learning methods to promote evidence-based practice; demonstrate effective teaching skills and continually develop as a teacher for learners at all levels; complete required evaluations of learners in a timely manner; participate in other learning activities such as Foundations of Clinical Medicine, morning report, noon conference, and other formal educational programs for undergraduate and post-graduate learners
2. Research – Participate in clinical and administrative research, according to skills, interest, and funding; research opportunities may include performance improvement initiatives or formal extramurally funded investigations; participation may be as principle investigator or co-investigator
3. Service – Work with institutional staff and administration to attain the strategic objectives of VCU Medical Center, including patient safety, patient and other customer satisfaction, maintenance and enhancement of public perception, and fiscal health.
4. Clinical – Admit and manage patients on a hospitalist-led inpatient service, co-management of patients on other services, and attend on the General Medicine consult service; triage medicine patients requiring admission in the Emergency Department and coordinate patient transfers from the Intensive Care units, non-medical services and non- VCU hospitals; join colleagues in assuring service coverage 24-hours a day, every day of the year; supervise and support nurse practitioners from the hospitalist service; comply in a timely manner with all institutional policies for professional work including credentialing, documentation, billing; work effectively with other members of the extended inter-professional team
Board certification or eligibility in Internal Medicine, direct experience managing complex inpatients, competency in standard inpatient procedures (including obtaining and interpretation of an arterial blood gas, central line placement, lumbar puncture, thoracentesis, paracentesis and arthrocentesis), a solid understanding of the hospitalist role and function, and an interest in teaching and growth in an academic setting. Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU .
Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team, providing effective communication, both verbal and written, and an interest in furthering the research, scholarly and academic missions of the group.
Date Posted 04/23/2018 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date Proposed Hire Date 07/01/2018 Type of Search Application Process/Additional Information
Interested applicants should apply online to http://www.vcujobs.com.
For additional information, please contact Zenobia Dabney, Division of Hospital Medicine Associate Administrator | Zenobia.Dabney@vcuhealth.org.
Posted Salary Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/78260 Diversity Statement Information Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you find out about this position?
- Alumni association magazine
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Community event
- Email notification
- HERC (Higher Ed Recruitment Consortium)
- Higher education publication
- Internal Recruiter
- Job fair
- Job site (e.g. Monster.com)
- Professional association/journal
- Referred by person/employee
- Search firm notification
- VCU vacancy listing - eJobs
- * If you selected 'Other' for your referral source please
indicate where you heard about this posting. (If you did not select
'Other,' please enter 'n/a.')
(Open Ended Question)
- Do you have Board Certification or Board Eligibility in
- Do you have direct experience managing complex inpatients,
competency in standard inpatient procedures (including obtaining
and interpretation of an arterial blood gas, central line
placement, lumbar puncture, thoracentesis, paracentesis and
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document
- Reference Letter - 1
- Reference Letter - 2
- Reference Letter - 3