Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor (VIPBG)
Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Position Number F55320 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Teaching and Research Faculty Rank Open Working Title Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor (VIPBG) School/Unit School of Medicine Department Psychiatry Number of Months 12 Tenure Status Open Grant funded position? No
Mission or Goal of Unit
The Virginia Institute for Psychiatric and Behavioral Genetics ( VIPBG ) mission is to study the etiology of psychiatric, substance use, and major biomedical disorders that have a significant behavioral component. Our foci are genetic epidemiology, molecular genetics/genomics, and the development of statistical methods and software to analyze genetic data. We aim to understand the interplay of genetic, environmental and developmental factors in behavioral and mental health, to educate the next generation of researchers, and to share findings with the scientific community via publications and conference presentations.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
This is a tenure eligible faculty position at the (advanced) Assistant, Associate or Full Professor level at VIPBG in the Department of Psychiatry. The faculty member should either have an established research program or be in a good position to develop one, and be willing to collaborate within the Institute. The faculty member should be interested in working with a diversity of different backgrounds with complementary research programs aimed at understanding how genetic and environmental risk factors contribute to psychiatric and related behavioral outcomes. Joint appointments are possible with complementary departments. Multiyear start up packages are available.
1. Teaching There are no set teaching requirements however the candidate is expected to contribute their expertise to relevant courses taught at the Institute and to mentor graduate students and post-docs working in their research program/laboratory.
2. Research The faculty member should have a scholarly/research portfolio which complements the existing expertise in the institute with evidence of multi-disciplinary applications; ideally they should have external funding commensurate with rank. They are expected to be an engaged collaborator to enhance the research program at the Institute.
3. Service Faculty member will serve on Departmental, College, and/or University committees as necessary, as well as in a professional capacity in their field, e.g., reviewer, conference organizer etc.
• MD or PhD or equivalent with training in genetics, psychology, psychiatry, biostatistics, epidemiology, or a related field.
• A successful track record of publication and extramural research funding, which should be commensurate with rank.
• For Assistant Professor level: Faculty member will be required to have an established research agenda and a clear potential for external funding, and potential for scholarship or creative expression to complement and expand existing expertise in the department.
• For Associate Professor/Professor level: Faculty member will be required to have a well-developed scholarly/research portfolio with evidence of multi-disciplinary applications and external funding appropriate to complement and expand existing expertise in the department.
• An interest in areas complementary to current VIPBG expertise, e.g., psychiatric genetics, genomics, neuroscience or development.
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU .
• Applicants with expertise in statistical genetics, molecular genetics or bioinformatics relevant to complex human disorders are especially encouraged to apply.
Date Posted 02/07/2018 Open Until Filled Yes Application Deadline Date Proposed Hire Date 12/01/2018 Type of Search National Application Process/Additional Information
To apply, submit letter of interest, summary of research interests and future plans, three references and CV online via eJobs (https://www.vcujobs.com/).
VCU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For Additional Information or questions: Tammy M. Newcomb, Human Resources, Department of Psychiatry, VCU, Box 980710, Richmond, VA 23298 or via email to Tammy.Newcomb@vcuhealth.org
Posted Salary Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/75804 Diversity Statement Information Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you find out about this position?
- Alumni association magazine
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Community event
- Email notification
- HERC (Higher Ed Recruitment Consortium)
- Higher education publication
- Internal Recruiter
- Job fair
- Job site (e.g. Monster.com)
- Professional association/journal
- Referred by person/employee
- Search firm notification
- VCU vacancy listing - eJobs
- * If you selected 'Other' for your referral source please
indicate where you heard about this posting. (If you did not select
'Other,' please enter 'n/a.')
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Other Document