Associate Director for Intercultural Student Affairs
Intercultural Student Affairs - 370000
Description of University
Appalachian State University, in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge
Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global
citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in
creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational
Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings
people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge,
to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and
embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the
University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls about
20,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more
than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.
* A Master’s Degree in higher education administration, counseling
psychology, student personnel, or other related field;
* A minimum of five (5) years of progressive experience within the
higher education environment;
* Demonstrated experience of working effectively with and meeting
the needs of a diverse student population.
* Excellent written communication skills as demonstrated in the
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
* Supervise three identity center Graduate Assistants (GAs),
Multi-Cultural Center, the Henderson Springs LGBTQ+ Center and the
Women’s Center. Assist the GAs in the daily operations of each
Center including budgeting, coordinating volunteer staff, and
implementing center initiatives.
* Supervise ISA Coordinator and dotted line Assistant
* Advise and assist in implementing Equity in Action; an annual
social justice conference coordinated by a student led board.
* Co-direct Intersect Social Justice Retreat; an annual weekend
retreat dedicated to basic social justice concepts, identity
exploration, and implementation of knowledge.
* Serve as a member of the Sustained Dialogue Advisory Board;
assisting with successful implementation of Sustained Dialogue per
standards set by national Sustained Dialogue Institute
* Promote academic and personal growth for students, faculty, and
staff while promoting a climate of inclusion through advocacy and
on-demand or ad-hoc workshops, presentations, activity
facilitation, and educational programming which are rooted in a
deep understanding of power, privilege, intersectionality, and
* Collaborate, design, implement, and assess educational programs
around diversity, inclusion, and social justice with offices,
departments, and individuals across campus.
* Coordinate process for undergraduate and graduate interns within
the office and centers including interviews, selection, and project
* Have an opportunity to serve as an instructor for Multicultural
Leadership, a social justice and multicultural education course
within the leadership minor.
* Mentor, advise, and counsel students from minoritized and
* Identify students needing campus support and services aiding
their ability to succeed at the institution and persist to
* Assist with the coordination and implementation of Intercultural
Student Affairs and Tri-Center initiatives.
* Serve on divisional and campus committees addressing various
diversity, inclusion, and social justice issues on campus.
* Recruit, train, promote and coordinate opportunities for student
* Assist in oversight of the dissemination of resources,
activities, and amenities to students through social media, email,
electronic bulletin boards, departmental calendar, etc.
* Assist the director in providing front-line support and referral
services for all students who contact the office for
* Assist in the Housing Accommodation process with the Associate
Director for Administrative Services in University Housing.
* Serve in the absence of the Director of Intercultural Student
* Other duties as assigned.
Suggested Salary Range
$60,000 - $63,000
Physical Demands of Position
Lifting less than 25 lbs. with or without reasonable
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please attach required documents:
Indicate a minimum of 3 professional references in the application
or attach a List of References with Contact Information
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in
access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect
to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis
of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and
expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status,
genetic information or sexual orientation.
Diversity and Inclusion at Appalachian
We at Appalachian State University are committed to diversity,
equity, and inclusive excellence both locally and globally.
We understand that the successful implementation of diversity,
equity, and inclusive excellence is the responsibility of the
entire university community, including alumni and official
university governing bodies. A diverse campus community supports an
influx of broad and distinct ideas that increase learning
opportunities and strengthen the impact of our community as we work
collectively to achieve a just experience for all.
We actively encourage, support, and promote a global mindset and an
equitable environment where all will know that they belong and are
safe to express their culture, identity, values, ideas, opinions,
and creativity. We are committed to creating a culture of equity
opportunity for all, one that has an expectation of fairness,
justice, and equity-minded practice at all levels of the university