Associate Director of Admissions - Operations
Admissions - 240300
Description of University
Appalachian State University, in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge
Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global
citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in
creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational
Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings
people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge,
to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and
embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the
University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls about
20,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more
than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three to five years of experience working with undergraduate
recruitment and/or application processing.
- Experience working with high school and college transcripts and
interpreting grading scales and schemas.
- Excellent communication, organizational, and time management
- Experience working with relational databases in data entry and
- Knowledge of academic policies as well as university and
department operating procedures and policies and ability to apply
- Excellent critical thinking, organization, communication, and
time management skills.
- Must have a team mentality and be able to operate effectively
in an ever-changing environment.
- Ability to handle confidential matters judiciously.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The primary purpose of this position is to ensure smooth,
effective, and accurate daily technical operations in Admissions
- Identifying work priorities; scheduling work and projects.
- Leading and working closely and effectively with the Operations
Unit to ensure that work is completed in a timely and very accurate
- Recommending policies and establishing procedures that improve
efficiencies in the office while still in the best interest of the
- Coordinating with other offices to establish procedures for
technical admissions and recruitment services.
- Resolving functional and technical problems within the office
and across campus.
- Hiring, training, and evaluating Operations Unit staff.
- Maintaining and monitoring time and personnel records for the 5
full-time Operations Unit staff and overseeing any temporary
employees within the unit.
- Providing guidance and assistance to staff in all technical
areas and in understanding and applying policies and
Maintaining operational effectiveness and efficiency by:
- Overseeing the admission of undergraduate students in
compliance with University academic and conduct standards.
- Preparing and overseeing development, maintenance, and revision
of the Operations Unit policy and procedures manuals.
- Maintaining subject area expertise for all duties
- Researching problems that may arise related to data in the SIS
and CRM databases.
- Serving effectively on the department’s management team by
actively participating in decision-making and planning.
Suggested Salary Range
Physical Demands of Position
Typical physical demands of a professional position within a
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please attach required documents:
Cover Letter and Resume.
List a minimum of 3 professional references in the application or
attach a List of 3 References with Contact Information
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in
access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect
to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis
of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and
expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status,
genetic information or sexual orientation.
Diversity and Inclusion at Appalachian
We at Appalachian State University are committed to diversity,
equity, and inclusive excellence both locally and globally.
We understand that the successful implementation of diversity,
equity, and inclusive excellence is the responsibility of the
entire university community, including alumni and official
university governing bodies. A diverse campus community supports an
influx of broad and distinct ideas that increase learning
opportunities and strengthen the impact of our community as we work
collectively to achieve a just experience for all.
We actively encourage, support, and promote a global mindset and an
equitable environment where all will know that they belong and are
safe to express their culture, identity, values, ideas, opinions,
and creativity. We are committed to creating a culture of equity
opportunity for all, one that has an expectation of fairness,
justice, and equity-minded practice at all levels of the university