Assistant Professor - Graphic Design
Position Title Assistant Professor - Graphic Design Tenure Status Tenure Track Position Number 004401 Department Art - 265050 Minimum Qualifications
- Earned terminal degree in graphic design, visual communication design, interactive design or equivalent (or expected by August 2021).
- Experience with designing for print, interactive or emerging media.
- Experience in extending the practice of design beyond traditional boundaries.
- Experience with collaboration in creative practice and/or teaching.
- Proficiency with technologies relevant to graphic design and digital media.
- Ability to teach across the Graphic Design and Foundations programs.
- Experience with, or commitment to, educating and mentoring students of diverse backgrounds and demographics .
- College-level teaching experience.
- Record of active professional practice.
- Record of recent contemporary industry experience.
- Ability to teach in Studio Art and/or Graphic Communications Management programs.
Description of the Department or Unit
The BFA Graphic Design program is strongly rooted in the design process, typography, visual systems, collaborative practices, and design thinking. Our goal is to empower students with a strong, personal voice and the ability to design in a variety of settings, navigate increasingly complex projects, and contribute to positive social change.
The Graphic Design program has six full-time faculty members and is one of six degree programs in the Department of Art with strong connections with the BFA Studio Art and BS Graphic Communications Management programs. The Graphic Communications Management program focuses on the production of graphic messaging across different channels/platforms such as web, direct mail, print, and packaging. The BFA Studio program offers concentrations in Clay, Fibers, Metals, Painting & Drawing, Photography, Printmaking, and Sculpture.
The Department of Art is NASAD -accredited and has over 40 full-time faculty members, over 700 undergraduate majors (200 of which are Graphic Design) and offers BFA degrees in Art Education, Graphic Design, and Studio Art; a BA degree with concentrations in Art History, Art Management, and Studio Art; and BS degrees in Commercial Photography, and Graphic Communications Management. The Department of Art typically offers a range of travel opportunities including trips to the university’s New York Loft and study abroad trips to China, Cuba, Italy, the Netherlands, Scotland, and Spain. Additional information about the department, the university, and the surrounding area can be found at here .
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach three courses per semester (9 hours) in all areas of graphic design practice, and may include, based upon the candidate’s skills and interests, design history and theory, foundations, illustration, general education, graphic communication production, or other related areas.
- Establish and maintain an active program of scholarship and creative activities.
- Participate in service activities.
- Advise students and develop curricula.
As a part of the COVID -19 response, Appalachian State University is employing flexible teaching formats to address academic needs and to comply with local, state and federal public health regulations or orders. Your deans retain the discretion to assign or reassign you to teach in either online or in-person formats during or after the COVID -19 pandemic, as necessary.
Physical Demands of Position
Typical physical demands of a professional position at the university.
Description of University
Appalachian State University, in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge, to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls about 19,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.
Suggested Salary Range Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. Special Instructions to Applicants
A complete application includes:
- Letter of Interest, including information about how you will contribute to building a culturally diverse educational environment.
- Teaching philosophy, including how a commitment to diversity and inclusion informs your teaching.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Contact information for three references.
- Unofficial graduate transcript(s) (finalists will be required to provide official transcripts of terminal degree).
- PDF or link to portfolio with 20 samples of personal work with descriptions of media, design objectives, and date (10mb file size max). (Attach under Link to Portfolio)
- PDF or link to portfolio with 10–20 samples of student work with descriptions of media, design objectives, and date (10mb file size max). (Attach under Link to Portfolio 2)
- Samples of relevant course syllabi, up to three if available. (Attach under “Optional Documents” section)
Please note this position is based on enrollment and subject to available funding.
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Diversity and Inclusion at Appalachian
Appalachian State University is committed to developing and allocating resources to the fundamental task of creating a diverse campus culture. We value diversity as the expression of human similarities and differences, as well as the importance of a living and learning environment conducive to knowledge, respect, acceptance, understanding and global awareness. Learn more at http://diversity.appstate.edu.
Quick Link https://appstate.peopleadmin.com/postings/27425