ASSOCIATE UNIVERSITY LIBRARIAN, Mugar Library, Catalog
- Boston University
- Massachusetts, United States
- Posted Date
- Jan 9, 2019
- Position Type
- Faculty Positions, Education, Education Administration & Leadership
- Employment Level
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Boston University Libraries seek applications for the position of Associate University Librarian for Digital Strategies and Innovations (AUL DSI). Reporting to the University Librarian, Dr. K. Matthew Dames, the new AUL DSI is a professional who is (or soon will become) a national leader that provides strategic leadership, development, administration, and implementation of data, digital, and online strategies for BU’s myriad audiences and environments.
This position will be a member of the Libraries’ Executive Team and will lead a division currently named Digital Initiatives and Open Access, which includes the Digital Scholarship Services, Resource Management (Metadata Services and Electronic Inventory), and Primo/Web Services departments.
Boston University Libraries’ Associate University Librarian for Digital Strategies and Innovations will have the following responsibilities:
- Conceive, develop, and implement digital, data, and technology projects that meet the Libraries’ and University’s mission, goals, and objectives; conform to established standards; and which are completed on time and within budget;
- Advise the Libraries’ Executive Team on collaborations with key stakeholders to develop solutions to curate, classify, visualize, and cost-effectively manage, store, steward, and archive University research data; and lead the Libraries’ engagement in such initiatives in partnership with or on behalf of the University Librarian;
- Identify scholarly and societal trends and develop effective technologies, solutions, collaborations, and partnerships—especially in data curation, digitization, and digital scholarship—that advance the current and future needs of BU’s faculty, students, communities, and essential constituents;
- Ensure that the Libraries’ digital holdings and services are widely and conveniently accessible through the Libraries’ Web interfaces, HathiTrust, DPLA, and other commonly used resources;
- Represent the Libraries nationally and internationally in technology, research data, enterprise data, digitization, or data preservation collaborations or initiatives as the University Librarian requests or as consistent with the Libraries’ goals and mission;
- Efficiently manage division budgets; hire, empower, catalyze, and evaluate division staff;
- In collaboration with the University’s Marketing and Communications division and future, related Libraries’ marketing efforts, ensure the currency and effectiveness of the Libraries’ online presences;
- Contribute to university-wide planning that aligns Libraries’ information technology strategies and infrastructure with the University’s broader vision of information services;
- Serve as the Libraries’ representative in appropriate University councils, working groups, and fora; and
- Provide advice and consultation to units across the University as appropriate and within scope of the position and organization.
For your application to be considered a candidate should submit the following materials in a single, unlocked Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) file named bul2019-auldsi_yourlastname:
- A formal letter of application (cover letter);
- Résumé or curriculum vitae;
- Sample publication or comparable non-confidential writing sample (10 pages maximum); and
- Names and email addresses of five professional references.
This position requires a masters degree from an accredited United States research university; we prefer candidates who have earned a doctoral degree. In addition, we strongly prefer candidates who have demonstrated, advanced training or work experience in areas such as developing diverse technology products, services, communities, or environments; research data curation, classification, or visualization; digitization and digital preservation; or statistics is strongly preferred. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who have advanced humanities training along with the requisite technological experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert