Associate Professor and Department Chair
The newly merged Department of Classical and Modern Languages and Cultures invites applications for the tenured position of Department Chair, beginning in July 2019, at the rank of Associate Professor. Language and field of specialization open. The department offers B.A. degrees in Spanish, Modern Languages, Latin, and Classical Civilizations, and offers minors in Spanish, French, Italian, German, Latin, and Classical Civilizations. Culture and/or language courses are also available in Arabic, Chinese and Japanese. The new hire will join 10 full-time departmental faculty.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- The Department Chair will provide visionary and progressive leadership and demonstrate a commitment to collaboration and interdisciplinarity.
- The chair will implement department policy and goals, foster an environment of mutual respect and inclusiveness, and spearhead long- and short-term planning.
Specific required duties include:
- Curriculum development and assessment, course scheduling, full-time and contingent faculty recruitment and advisement
- Professional development facilitation for faculty, staff, and students
- Annual faculty performance evaluations
- Expansion of study-abroad and language immersion initiatives
- Community and global outreach, student recruitment, alumni relations, coordination of educational and cultural activities for all department programs
- Management of the department budget and personnel
- The chair will represent and communicate departmental interests to administrators and across disciplines and assume other leadership functions as needed.
- The expected teaching load is two courses per semester.
- A Ph.D. from an accredited U.S. institution or an equivalent non-U.S. institution is required, preferably in Classics, Spanish, French, Italian, or German, or, in exceptional cases, a related field.
- A distinguished record of scholarly activity appropriate for a tenured appointment at the rank of Associate Professor is expected, as are an active research agenda, proactive management skills, and a proven commitment to excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service.
- Prior academic administrative leadership responsibility at the program level or higher is preferred.
Catholic in its mission and ecumenical in spirit, Duquesne University values equality of opportunity as an educational institution and as an employer. We aspire to attract and sustain a diverse faculty and staff that reflect contemporary society, serve our academic goals and enrich our campus community. We particularly encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups and support dual-career couples through our charter membership in this region's HERC(http://www.hercjobs.org/oh-western-pa-wv/).
We invite applicants for this position to learn more about our university and its Spiritan heritage by visiting http://www.duq.edu/about/mission-and-identity/mission-statement. Those invited to campus for an interview may be asked about ways in which they see their talents contributing to the continued growth of our community and furthering its mission.
Expressions of interest and applications will be treated in confidence. Duquesne University uses Interfolio to collect all faculty job applications electronically. Please submit the following application documents to http://apply.interfolio.com/57804.
- Letter of interest
- Curriculum vitae
- Three confidential professional letters of recommendation
Candidate review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Priority will be given to applications received by January 15, 2019. Questions about this position can be addressed to the chair of the search committee, Dr. John Kern at email@example.com.
Duquesne University was founded in 1878 by its sponsoring religious community, the Congregation of the Holy Spirit. Duquesne University is Catholic in mission and ecumenical in spirit. Motivated by its Catholic identity, Duquesne values equality of opportunity both as an educational institution and as an employer.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Pittsburgh
- Humanities Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Pittsburgh
- Classics Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Pittsburgh
- English & Literature Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Pittsburgh
- Administrative Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in Pittsburgh